Athlone is renowned for its location on the banks of the Shannon which flows through the town centre.
Going to third level near Athlone?Quick search
The town is experiencing tremendous growth in retail and commercial development which has generated extra employment locally. The Town Council has radically improved the general appearance of the town in recent years and provided excellent facilities such as a town centre marina and regional sports centre.
As a result of the improved range of retail, commercial, industrial and leisure facilties the area has become Athlone one of the fastest growing inland urban areas, with a current population of 23,000 (approx.).
Athlone the urban capital of the Midlands is strategically positioned in the centre of Ireland, where an esker ridge provides convenient access through the surrounding lowlands to make it the focus of east-west traffic across the river Shannon. Its serviced regularly with both bus and train routes.
The educational infrastructure is very attractive in Athlone with Athlone Regional College established in 1970 now designated to an Institute of Technology and catering for over 5,000 students. The Institute offers part-time and full-time programmes at certificate, diploma, degree and postgraduate levels.
The National Polymer Development Centre based in Athlone is Ireland's leading Polymer Technology and Development Organisation, providing the polymer industry with a rapid turnaround, confidential and industrially focused technical service. Several private and public establishments providing full-time, evening and part-time training and tuition.
A large number of Primary and Second Level Schools exist within a 10-15 mile catchment area. Over 3,000 pupils attend second level schools in the town with approx. 2,000 students graduating annually from second-level schools.
Leisure facilities in the area include the recent opening of a Regional Sports Centre with a 25 metre pool, a children's pool, aerobics, karate, yoga, gym and an all weather pitch. Other activities enjoyed locally are golf, horse-riding and racing, hunting, tennis, scuba-diving, rowing, sailing, cruising, hockey, camogie, rugby, soccer and gaelic football. Indoor facilities include gyms, swimming pools, bowling, badminton, snooker/pool, indoor soccer, arts, drama and musical societies.
- Athlone Garda Station Tel: 090 649 8550
- Athlone Hospital Tel: 090 647 5301
- Athlone Institute of Technology Tel: 090 647 4400
- Bicycle Shop/Repair, DB Cycles Tel: 090 649 2280
- Bowling/Snooker, Athlone Leisure World Tel: 090 649 4766
- Careers & Appointments Officer Tel: 090 642 4524
- Cinema/Omniplex Tel: 090 647 6655
- Citizens Information Centre Tel: 090 642 4428
- College Chaplaincy Tel: 090 642 4428
- College Nurse Tel: 090 647 4565
- Disability Liasion Officer Tel: 090 642 4435
- ESB Tel: 090 647 2580
- Pool, Arden Bar Tel: 087 2047186
- Portiuncla Hospital, Ballinasloe Tel: 090 964 2140
- Post Office Tel: 090 648 3544
- Student Services Manager Tel: 090 642 4412
- Students Union Accommodation/Welfare Officer Tel: 090 647 4517
- Students Union Deputy President Tel: 090 647 9388
- Students Union President Tel: 090 647 6369
- The Samaritans Tel: 090 647 3133
- Threshold Tel: 091 563080